Popular Posts

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmas Perspective



It's almost Christmas and I'm hyper aware of all the stress people have around me. I want to share with them how unimportant some of the stress triggers really are to the people who love them.

I understand wanting to be generous and gift the things they think will make their loved ones happy and I understand that for some of us, it's a blow to our self image and ego to have been able to do so much Christmases past but less this year. It's nice to be able to wrap something up that is thoughtful and appreciated. I get it. But it's not as important as they think and it's probably not expected of them by anyone else but themselves. It's a lot of unnecessary pressure to put on ourselves.

I'm trying to remember what I got last year and the year before. I can remember some, but not all and while I appreciated it all, what I remember most - what I remember fondly - is the time I spent with the people I love and the laughter we shared. I am reminded how thankful I am that we didn't lose anyone close to us, that we all have our health and each other. That anything is still possible for all of us and that we all have everything we need and most of what we want.

I'll be happy to just have everyone home for breakfast together on Christmas morning. The dog begging for bacon, some Irish Coffee to share and maybe a movie followed by an afternoon nap before visiting family later in the evening. I wouldn't miss the wrapping paper and boxes with tissue messes to clean up, the credit card bills next month or the inconvenience of having to return things that didn't fit or weren't quite right. I'd feel better knowing that they didn't spend money they couldn't afford on wrapping something up out of obligation or for fear of looking bad. I want them to know that I wouldn't love them any less. Their health and happiness is all I really want for Christmas and all throughout the year.

This isn't the last Christmas - it's just one Christmas. I don't feel pressured to meet any unreasonable expectation of myself or that I think someone else may have of me. I want to enjoy the season, the beautiful decorations, the gatherings of friends and loved ones and the hope we share for the New Year. I wish I could wrap up that kind of peace. I'd give it to everyone.


Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment